As the holidays roll around some eggnog is often a crowd favorite, well at least for some of the crowd. So for the Eggnog fans this year I have been trying out different eggnog recipes, trying to settle on that perfect version. After a bunch of trial and error Below is ShoutHome’s favorite eggnog recipe for the holidays:
– 12 Egg Yolks (splurge for good organic eggs, it makes a noticeable difference).
– 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon.
– 5 cloves.
– 4 cups of 2% milk (ultra-pasteurized is harder to curdle so it is a safe way to go).
– 1.25 Cups of granulated white sugar.
– 3/4 tsp of ground nutmeg.
– 2.75 cups of nice Spiced Rum (Mt. Gay is my personal favorite)
– 3.75 cups of cream.
– 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
1.) In a large saucepan that is not yet on the stove, mix:
– – 4 cups of Milk
– – 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– – 5 Cloves
– – The Cinnamon
Place over heat and bring mixture very slowly to a boil.
2.) Separately in a large bowl combine the following:
– – Egg Yolks.
– – White Sugar.
Whisk together until they are fluffy, this will take a while.
3.) Whisk the hot milk mixture into the large bowl containing the egg and sugar mixture. DO THIS SLOWLY, then when you are done, pour it back into the saucepan.
4.) Place saucepan back on the burner & cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes making sure not to let the mixture return to a boil (or it may curdle). Stir constantly while doing this. Then turn off the heat and let it cool for a few hours.
5.) Before serving stir in the rum, the cream, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and nutmeg.
There you have it a killer holiday eggnog recipe for the fans out there.